Tuesday, August 5, 2008

August 5th

Holy Moly!!! What a day yesterday was! We went down for the PEG and once again that did not happen. I was a little ticked off to say the least. According to the doctor he did not order the PEG and he was not sure why they had brought him down. He blamed it on the nurse and I have a hard time believing that a nurse would just take upon herself to bring a patient down. Well that is neither here nor there. After we got back down to his room they got him cleaned up and ready to rest for a while. He seemed to get cold and had goose bumps. He started shaking like he was really cold. Little did I know that was the beginning of a seizure. I called the nurse and they called a code white, which means doctors assistance right away. There must have been 15 peopel come into the room and they brought the crash cart with them. I was not leaving Matt, but they asked my mom and his mom to wait outside. They started pushing meds in him trying to get him to calm down. After 12 minutes, but for me it seemed like an eternity and way more than 12 minutes, Matt started to relax. That was the most intense 12 minutes that I have every gone through. The doctor said that he would need to have the breathing tube put back in because of all of the meds that they had given him to help him clam down. At this time I did leave the room and had a little break down outside. All I could think of was that I was going to have to tell our boys that their dad was not going to make it all over again. That is also one moment in time that I do not ever wish to have to live through again. So, after the put the breathing tube back in the took him to ICU. I was not happy about this because we are back to only seeing him 4-5 hours out of the day. Finally, around 8:30 we were able to go in and see him and the neurolgist came in while I was in there to read some of the tests that they had done. They did an EEG and it showed that there had been seizure activity, but that it had stopped and he has not had anymore. We talked about how Matt was acting the morning before the seizure and I told him that he was smilng and acting silly with everyone. He said that was good and that he expected him to be doing the same thing in a couple of days. There should not be any long term affects from the seizure, but he will have to be put on anti-seizure meds for the rest of his life. I told him that was a minor detail. They are taking Matt for another CT and doing another EEG today to make sure that there have been no other seizures and to make sure that the AVM has not bleed anymore. The neurologist did tell me last night that he did not expect to find that they AVM had bleed on the CT that they wanted to do just to make sure. I have just come from seeing him and he looks good. He is able to squeeze my hand, he is moving his arm and he was waving his toes at one of the PT people that have worked with him. Once he is more alert and the doctor gives the all clear from the tests that they are doing, they will start removing the breathing tube. God has once again proven that he is in control and that he is the great physician. Yesterday after the seizure happened, I was a little down and was questioning why God lets things like this happen to good people like Matt and our pastor shared a story with me about how our story has already helped people. I was amazed and once again God has taken me to the place where I am in total amazement with all that He can do in out lives. You know if all of this has to happen to help one person then God has done a great deed. I have to tell you about one more thing before I close this post. Every night for the past week or so Matt and I have been praying. When I pray I touch every part of his body, his head and I ask God to hold the AVM in His hand and keep it safe, then I pray for each leg, each arm and so on. I finally end up praying for his lungs and his heart. I was praying with him last night and when I got to praying for his heart and I aske God to help him know how much I love him, he squeezed my hand and this was all while he was still under the influence of the sedation. It was Matt's way once again of telling me that he was still here and that he was still fighting to get better. God is so amazing and I will forever give him all of the praise and glory for what He has done in our lives. Keep praying becasue God is hearing all those prayers and He is answering them day in and day out. Thank you all for your support and for standing in the gap for us. I thank God daily for friends and family who not only love us, but love our God as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
I am a member at FBC. I have been praying for you and your family since I heard about Matt first entering the hospital in July. After reading your blog today, I am totally amazed about what God is doing in your family's lives AND in the lives of the workers around you. I am also amazed at how He is a "personal" God. He uses these situations to bring us close to him. He wants each of us to PERSONALLY know HIM. He is not some big far off god. WOW! What an awesome saviour we serve! I will keep praying for healing for you and Matt. Thank you for taking the time to create this blog and show how God is working in your lives. Sent with love and prayers, Angela Lierman