Monday, August 11, 2008

August 11

Well it is another late night, before I got a chance to write. Matt is doing well. OT/PT both came in today and worked with him for about an hour. The PT person brought in a machine that helped him to support himself and stand up. He did very well and was able to stand for a minute of so, that does not sound like a lot, but when you haven't been out of bed for several weeks that is a lot of time and most of all a lot of effort. Later on in the day he was complaining that his shoulder hurt, I was very encouraged to hear this. When his shoulder hurts from the workout it tells me that all the nerves and sensations from his brain to his arm are reconnecting and working on healing themselves. Then he sat up in a chair for another 2 hours. While he was sitting in the chair the Speech person came in and wanted to work with him as well. She was pleased with the way he was swollowing. She gave him ice chips and a little bit of water. He did very well and is now able to have ice chips when he wants them. They were going to try some other textures, but decided to work with him a few days before they gave him anything else. Thats ok, he is thrilled with the ice chips. He has been waiting for those ice chips for a couple of days now. Matt has some weakness on his left side and has a tendancy to lean to the left with his head, so working on keeping his head straight and tall is a lot of work also, but I cannot tell you how much better his is getting at holding his head up and keeping it aligned. This is important so that when he swallows everything goes down the right pipes and it does not go into his lungs. All of his doctors were in today and they are all impressed with his progress. They are so impressed that they are ready to release him to rehab as soon as the doctor up there has a bed for him. I was hoping that would be today, but no such luck. Dr. Reddy came in today and asked me if I was ready for him to go to rehab and I asked if we could go now. He told me to call the physical therapy doctor and let him know that Matt could go when he had the room. I have not heard from that doctor yet, but should hear from him on Tuesday. Lisa, Matt's nurse, was back today and she has not seen him in a few days and she was thrilled to see him smile, talk and even a chuckle came out today. I can also tell that he is getting better, because he is beginning to complain about how he is laying and that his butt hurts. I give him a hard time about complaining, but then I tell him how happy I am to have him complaining about stuff and not just laying there. I will gladly take the complaints over the nothing is bothering me that was going on a week or two ago. I am so extremely excited at the progress that Matt has made, and I connot wait to see what he can do when he gets up to rehab. I have to go to work on Tuesday, and I am kind of sad. I hate to leave him and I feel guilty leaving him, even though his Mom will be here to help out, I still feel like I should be here for him. I am planning to leave the hospital in the morning at about 6:00 and be at work at 7:30. After work I will go home and get my stuff together for the next day and then go back up to the hospital and stay with him for the night. God is still working miracles and I am still very excited to see each day what God is going to do today. Thanks so much for all your comments and I love hearing from you. Keep praying for him, he is improving daily. Rehab will start and he will really need your prayers through all of that work that they will put him through. Thanks and we love you all very much.

No comments: